Sunday, January 08, 2006

Apples and Oranges

I remember when I was just a wee girl (well, in middle school and high school), my dad used to tell me that someday, I'd be the type of girl that all the right guys would fall for. At the time, I felt ugly and lonely and would constantly wonder why I wasn't good enough to get a boyfriend. My dad told me that someday, the boys would notice the smart girl, who was beautiful to boot (I never felt beautiful, but Dad told me I was).

Now I stand, and look back with my 20/20 goggles, and realize that he was right. When Dan fell for me, it wasn't my looks that grabbed him. It wasn't my sexuality, or my flirtatiousness which caught his attention. No, it was when we started to talk about what was important to us; when I talked about my faith and my lifestyle, and who I was underneath my clothes, underneath my makeup, underneath my skin, and in my heart and mind.

So, to my sister and to the boys who are missing out, I give you this quote (I thank nc_martialartist for bringing the quote to my attention):

Girls are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. The boys don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they just get the rotten apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. So the apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right boy to come along, the one who's brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree.

I wish someone as beautiful as you could know that you're going to be so loved by someone. And don't feel bad about being lonely, but don't think that finding someone is the ultimate bliss either. You are beautiful. The bible speaks about Eve being the crown of creation, the thing that made it perfect. Some day, you will fell as beautiful as you are meant to feel. You are worthy to be loved for who you are, for everything you are.

I sometimes wish that we aren't always searching for constant reassurance. Sometimes we go above it, or find it in the wrong places if we can't get it how we want. But many times this desire just leads to pain. I wish no one had to go through the pain. I wish the difference between our emotions and our realities weren't like comparing apples and oranges.

3 comments:

DJO said...

If I'd known the tree was so darn tall when I started climbing I mightn't have made it all the way! You're terrific Laura.

And you're terrific too Amy!

And Molly is terrific also. Lots of terrificness in the Jones family!

Amy said...

Laura, I cannot thank you enough for this blog, things aren't going the greatest, but it helped a lot. I love you!

Laura said...

:) I love you too!!