Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Everything is alright.

"I just want to warn you," Alicia told me as we walked to her birthday supper, "that you're going to cry on your birthday." Big tears. Twenty year old tears.

It's all going to be alright. Everything is alright. You're okay. Everything is going to be okay. Either God is a woman and she's talking to me, or the loudspeaker outside of Bridgestreet Cafe was blasting some strange self-help CD. I wonder who listens to that stuff. I wonder if that CD is in someone's stereo playing over and over every night, just so that the listener can be convinced by some electronic device that the world really isn't all that bad.

I wonder what went through each pedestrian's mind as they walked up and down Bridge Street, as the dim glow came from the closed storefront windows; Walking either to and from bars or pizza joints, expecting to drink away some repressed emotion or to eat away drunken heartbreak.

Everything is alright.

Twenty Year Old Tears.

Loudspeakers don't lie.

1 comment:

DJO said...

Twenty is an awesome age!

There's a famous band with that number: Matchbox Twenty

Lists often come with twenty points: http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/20questions.html

There's even clubs devoted to Twenty: http://www.twentyclub.org/

Enjoy Twenty! Enjoy your birthday! I'm incredibly happy for you! Happy almost-twenty Laura!