Friday, July 15, 2005

Chapter Two - SATURDAY (Part One)

This is all starting to blur in my head really fast, so I better get down to finishing this documentation. I wanted to have this done earlier, but got frustrated because I lost it all. Here we go again.

Saturday morning I woke up earlier than I would have liked. My head was sore from the night before because as I was so tired that I flopped myself on the bed. Instead of my head hitting the lovely soft pillow, it bonked on the wooden part of the fouton, giving me a lovely huge bump. This might have had something to do with how fast I managed to fall asleep that night. I fell asleep with ice to my head. By morning, the swelling had gone down a bit, but it was killer and the bump was still rather large. It might be for this reason that I do not remember much about Saturday morning. I think when we woke up, we got right to getting ready to go to the mall, shower, get dressed. We may have sat out by the pool for a little while watching the boys swim before heading out.

We got into the car (the Spyder - I apparently spelled it wrong a few times in Chapter one) and drove down to the mall. I do not remember the name of this mall - but it was the new one with the Bass Pro Shop in it - a store which Brenda, Dan's mother insisted we visit. Bass Pro was a fantastically large outdoor store, which made me want to go camping and be at Wildwood so much. There is a giant aquarium with big fish in it that you can watch. This aquarium is used to do fly fishing lessons with, although this was not going on while we were there.

The rest of the mall was huge as well, and we walked through it looking for clothes or sunglasses for myself. I got neither at this mall. My first expense was at La Senza, one of my favorite place to blow my money. Shopping is not my love, however underwear shopping is right up there with grocery shopping. So, I pulled Dan in with me, holding his hand tightly because he didn't want to be seen in that store unless everyone knew he was being dragged in by me. He got used to it in the end. I got a really great white pair of underwear that I think I managed to throw out by accident on the last day we were in Toronto. It was a shame, since I really needed a pair of white underwear for the new skirt I had bought a few days prior to the trip.

After La Senza, and after trying on a few sunglasses and hats, Dan and I headed to a restaurant in the mall for lunch. It was a fantastic place, a sports bar, but a lovely cool atmosphere to it. The restaurant was attatched to a bowling alley, which was really an interesting addition, but we didn't take the time to lace up some of those hot shoes and send a big colourful balls down a lane. Our lunch was delicious, I had a Caesar salad, and then Dan and I got a bunch of finger foods to share. I wish I could remember what exactly we got. There was Mac and Cheese balls, which was Macaroni and Cheese inside a batter (sounds healthy). I think we got some yummy barbecue chicken wings, and a type of flat bread with spinach and cheese dip. We did not even get close to finishing it. As a drink, I had this fantastic un-blended Pina Colada, which put me in heaven. It was so incredibly good. I tried to sip slowly to savour it, but the taste was out of this world. The drink came with cherries, and I had some fun with the stems afterwards.

Finishing lunch, we walked around the mall some more, a little faster than before. We had little time left, as the late afternoon we had plans we could not be late for. We did stop at Suzy Shier, until I realized that I had left my gift certificate in the car. Our last stop before running out of the store was at the bathing suit store. We had a blast picking out a suit that would fit and look okay on me. I ended up with this burgundy coloured one, which didn't seem to make me look too ginormous. Dan and I split the cost, but by this time, we were running late, so we hurried to the mall exit.

Right before we got back to Bass Pro Shop. Dan stopped.

"If we had more time, I'd take you to get some Bubble Tea. Remember how I told you about that?" I looked over. There was the Bubble Tea shop to my right. To my left, Bass Pro, which would be our exit from the mall. "But this might be the last chance we get to have it," Dan continued. I think he was having some major internal conflict.


I had never experienced bubble tea before. The store was bright and colourful and full of people. We walked in and I had to stand back to look at the menu. I decided on a fresh fruit cold drink.

"I'll have Watermelon please"

"Would you like the Tapioca Bubbles in it?" this was the intimidating part of the drink. But of course I had to try it.

"Yes please."

The handed me my pink blended drink with the floaty black spheres in the bottom of the cup. I look up at Dan.

"Here I go."

I take a sip, holding the straw in the middle of my cup so that I do not get any Tapioca bubbles. Not the first time at least.

"How is it?" Dan asks, eager to find out if I liked it or not.

"The watermelon drink is Fantastic!" I admit.

"What about the bubbles?"

I look ashamed. I take a deep breath, plunge the straw far into the bottom of the drink and slowly, very slowly, watch a black ball rise up my straw. In my mouth this mushy, chewy ball mixes with watermelon drink. This is a new feeling for me. Slowly I chew. I had no expectations of what this might taste like, no idea at all. And I was surprised. The taste of this chewy ball was sweet, but not overly sweet. I came to find out after a few however, that this was a rich sweetness. It was great. I was falling in love all over again with a pink drink filled with black beads and a giant straw. And now that I am home in New Brunswick, I miss it (although apparently Mom told me that there is a shop here in Saint John that sells them. I'll have to find out where this is, or my lust will grow too great.)

We walk out of the mall now, later than we had time for, but extremely happy. I felt like I was a girl in a summertime novel, wearing a cute summer halter dress, my brown hair long and down, held back with a long yellow scarf, and a cute boy's arm around my waist. We get to the perfect summertime-novel-convertible-car, and the wind starts blowing my hair back, one hand is holding this watermelon drink which tastes sweet like summertime-fruit and new like romance, the other hand is holding his.

No comments: