Friday, July 29, 2005

To Radiate or not to Radiate, That is the Question....


In an hour, Premier Lord will be doing a news briefing, updating the media on the Future of Point Lepreau Nuclear Generating Station. I'll be heading over to the Maintenance shop where there will be a huge television set up for some of the employees to watch. I think the most interesting part will not be my reaction, as unfortunately I do not think I will be following my WBGT girl career opportunities.

When I tell people my place of summer employment, I always get the question of whether the government will fund us or not. Honestly, I have no sweet clue. I just go on what people around me say. Some of the plant workers believe it would be absolutely stupid to not refurbish, others do not have such a positive outlook. My mother thinks that the government will withhold all funding and let the plant run until 2008 until it dies.

The most frustrating part of the equation is that the government has been holding back on making a decision for so long. That is the main criticism that I have heard about Bernard Lord from New Brunswickers; if he actually comes around to making a decision, it will have been a long time coming, a time which was full of flip-flopping. "Better to make a bad decision, than no decision at all" said one New Brunswicker, who I carpool with. I do not know if I agree. Be as it may, PLGS has been crying for funding for refurbishment and waiting for the government to make up its mind for a while.

We'll see what 10:00 brings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2005-07-29T145209Z_01_N29483252_RTRIDST_0_CANADA-UTILITIES-NBPOWER-POINTLEPREAU-COL.XML

The verdict is in!

Well, I'm not an expert on this whole issue, but I think it's a fairly smart move. Here's what I just told Tiff:

1. It's wayyy more enviromentally friendly than, coal, which was an alternative.

2. Since it's our govn't investing and not some private company, we can own it, reap the benefits, and help build the economy.

3. Hopefully they'll push simple things with this, like usuing the new efficient lightbulbs, which actually would cut all power bills by 15% if people would just use them.

All in all, good. But I think we regular citizens have to step up and do our part now.

Laura said...

Agreed - it is cheaper than fossil fuels as well

Was that Bryn??