Monday, July 25, 2005

Chapter TWO - SATURDAY (Part two: Tony and Tina's Wedding)

Our plans for the afternoon were to meet Dan's Mom and Larry to go to a play that evening. The play began at four pm. A requirement was to look good for this event. Although Dan always looks good (ahem), he had not, like me, decided to dress up a little even for shopping. I suppose I am lucky, being of the female persuasion, that I can look good in a summer dress both shopping and at a wedding. Dan didn't think that dress slacks and expensive shoes were a good choice to find himself at the mall in. This was not supposed to be a problem, however, because of the bathing suit and the bubble tea, and the altogether lengthiness at the mall (okay, it was my fault), we did not have time to make the drive through Toronto traffic back to Dan's father's house to get dressed and back to Dan's Mom's residence. So, we just got into the car and drove to his Mom's.

We got there just in time, about four minutes before they had wanted to leave. It is a drive from Dan's mother's house in Thornhill (am I right about that?) to downtown Toronto, and so we had to leave early. Dan borrowed a golf shirt from Larry and we got into the car and headed towards the Big City. This is my first venture into the city of Toronto since arriving, and I was pointed out the CN tower every time we came in view.

"And that's the CN Tower, Laura!"

I must have seen that tower from every angle! What a treat!

The traffic in Toronto was fascinating for me. The weekend we were there, the traffic was not nearly as bad as I am told it can be, but that many different cars with that many different people in them is just wonderful. I am a people watcher and so it is grand to sit in my own car and watch everyone going to wherever for whatever reason.

Driving into the actual city was another incredible experience. Cars were going in every which direction. Packs of people where walking on the sidewalks, waiting for street lights, or walking in front of cars. There were rails on the street for street cars to drive on. Everything was in packs and crowds and flocks. So many cars, so many people. The buildings loomed over me. As were were driving into the city, I could see the skyrises from top to bottom, but as we got closer, they got taller and taller until I could no longer see the tops of them from my seat in the car, or even halfway up. It was then that the realization of how large everything in Toronto was set in. I was in a jungle of engines and cement and strange animals. It was beautiful, though; not dingy or dismal, but a foreign type of exotic, like a giant bouquet of wild flowers, each painted different colours, each with a unique aroma.

Downtown, we parked the car and got out of the car and headed into the Holiday Inn, which had doormen and everything. Up the stairs we walked (or rather, up the elevator we rode). We were on our way to the show Tony and Tina's Wedding, a dinner theatre like nothing I have ever experienced before. Our tickets were there waiting for us, and we arrived just in time, about five minutes early, leaving not too much of a wait time. Right away the actors started piling into this room which we were all standing in. Immediately they began introducing themselves and engaging in conversation with the patrons, continually in character. This was a wonderful charade and a completely different experience than I was used to.

We then wandered into the room where the actual play was taking place. The wedding happened, and then the reception. During the reception, there was lovely food, the actors came and sat down with us and talked with us or amongst themselves in front of us. There was dancing, in which the actors pulled you out of your seat to dance if you were not willing to do it alone. There were dances for couples, there were dances where everyone held hands in a circle, there were conga lines and the macarana, the YMCA and the chicken dance. This was the first time Dan and I had danced in a proper situation, although I must say, we take the prize in parking lot (car park for Matty) dancing. It was fantastic to be in his arms, close to him, as if the entire world was disappearing around us, and for one second it was just he and I.

Sitting at our table was a cute newly wed couple from the states. Dan first guessed that they were newly wed. Apparently they were being really sweet, him pulling out the chair for her and getting her food and all. I talked to her afterwards.

"Yeah, we've been married a little less than a year." She said. "Our wedding was nothing like this, though".

They were cute.

A few of the actors noticed Dan and I.

"If I was your boyfriend, I wouldn't let you out in public in that dress"

"You must be proud to have the prettiest girl in the room. I mean, my girlfriend's close, but don't tell her that she's not number one."

"You two must be so in love."

I had such a fantastic time, I laughed hard, danced hard, and had a great time with Dan, his mom, Larry, and every one of the actors. Dan's mom took pictures like it was nobody's business, and she loved to tell everyone where Dan and I were from.

"This is my son, Daniel. He came all the way from Halifax, Nova Scotia just for the wedding. And this is his girlfriend who is from New Brunswick. They're inter-provincial dating!"

Dan, his mom, and some cute groomsmen


I think Kiki's getting a little close....


Laura and Grandma Nunzio


She tried to set me up with her 21 year old grandson, Johnnie




Larry decided to dance with the pregnant bridesmaid

Dan had to pay twenty dollars to dance with the bride.

No, I did not go up to the front and dance to the YMCA with actors!



After the play, we walked downtown for a while, and headed to the CN tower. Unfortunately, there was at least an hour wait to get up the tower, and so we walked back to the car and drove to The Beaches. There, Brenda and I checked out this funky jewelry store, and I bought a toe ring, while Brenda bought me a bracelet which matched my sundress. Dan and Larry parked the car then came in to the store and browsed with us, but poor Dan had a headache and so spent some of the time outside. We then walked across the street to a restaurant bar and sat outside on the patio and talked and had a drink. The sky was growing pink as the sun started to set, and the Live 8 concert was playing on the TV behind us.


Dan and his Mom looking oh so cute and happy together, at the restaurant

As we drove home that night, in the dark, Dan's head was not feeling much better. By the time we got back to Dan's mom's house though, it was starting to feel better, so he was able to drive back to his dad's. When we got back, I tried to give my parents a call, but only got their machine, and then I think we went straight to bed. I am sure I passed out again after such a long day.

No comments: