Monday, August 08, 2005

The Innerworkings of a Male Brain


I came to realize something this weekend that I had no knowledge of before. I have always been under the impression that taken women are off limits. Apparently, I am so wrong.

"He is so flirting with you" I was informed one day, after recalling the earlier encounter with a guy from work.

"No he wasn't", I answered. "And anyway, he knows I have a boyfriend, so it would be a waste of time to flirt."

"Are you serious?"

I was. I was completely serious. I was however, informed about my mistake by not one, but two guys. No, guys do not see this as a problem. Perhaps it is a slight setback, but not a problem. If the guy really has his sights set, then he will get what he is hunting for. I was even told by one of the guys I car pool with that girls with boyfriends are sweeter, since the aspect of doing something in secret, closing in on another man's girl, and the all over wrongness of it is so tempting.

This should not have surprised me. Last year while working at the theatre, I became accustom to hearing the term M.I.L.F. on a regular basis. The first time, I had to have my memory jogged back to watching American Pie to remember what this vulgar term meant. I let it go, until one day my boyfriend used it.

The issue is that this term is so common that to describe a beautiful woman, one resorts to vulgarity.

"Profanity is the attempt of a feeble mind to express itself forcefully" ~Anonymous

Of course M.I.L.F. is just a term, however I have never been too keen with males telling me the women they would like to sleep with, especially those males who show a particular exclusivity towards myself. And that is the thing; the term states, whether the meaning is there or not, that the male wishes to sleep with the aforementioned woman.

Not only is this just a woman, but she is a mother. In this society we live in, not all mothers are married or even in relationships, and so I am not implying that women with children should not have an intimate relationships. Personally however, if someday you see me pushing a stroller down the street, there will also be a band around my left ring finger. To be called a M.I.L.F. would be not only extremely disrespectful to me, but also to my husband.

Women are beautiful, and yet part of that beauty stems from deep within, from her name, from her smile and her eyes, and from her personality. Women are attractive. But I find the constant referral to women as sex symbols and games intolerable. In this, I do not solely blame men, as women prove to be a part of the culprit as well.

I will let you know when I'm single again. For the meanwhile, when I tell you I am in a relationship, it means that I am off limits, and that I respect the man I love too much to consider disrespecting myself in such a way.

11 comments:

DJO said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DJO said...

"I will let you know when I'm single again."

That's some positive outlook you've got! :p

I like the picture of the Male Brain. Isn't science great?

Laura said...

yeah, by that time whoever I'll let know will be old and grey. If I am keeping a super positive outlook, then you'll die before me, so eventually, I'll be single again.

DJO said...

I can't remember the statistics now...but I'm fairly sure that it worked out that I should die 11.5 years before you.

Which gives you over a decade of singleness! Let the good times role!

DJO said...

I can't remember the statistics now...but I'm fairly sure that it worked out that I should die 11.5 years before you.

Which gives you over a decade of singleness! Let the good times role!

Laura said...

You're all about the double commenting.... making me think I have more comments.

DJO said...

no

DJO said...

Oh wait...was that predictable?

DJO said...

Oh wait...was that predictable?

Anonymous said...

um... im really really really ignorant here.. but what does M.I.L.F mean? Im a bit scared... perhaps its better not to ask! lol.. my fiance Chris better not have one of these lists you are talkin about!
cass

Laura said...

MILF - the first time I used the term in my post, I linked it to its 'definition'. Or, it mean "Mother I'd Like to Fuck". ick.